Senior Software Developer (Business Intelligence) -
Brookfield LePage Johnson Controls (BLJC)
Senior Software Developer (Business Intelligence)
| Job Type:
|| BLJC Full-time Permanent
|| Markham, Ontario
| Job Description:
The Senior Software Developer (Business Intelligence) embodies their passion for business intelligence (BI) through designing and building pragmatic decision-support reporting, operational reporting, dashboard, KPI and score card applications. At this level, the incumbent demonstrates in-depth knowledge of BI development methodologies, supported by clear, maintainable software engineering efforts. They continuously refine their skills seeking a higher degree of mastery of BI and data warehousing while advocating for quality software development efforts.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Uses in-depth knowledge of programming techniques, data design patterns and BI tools to develop BI programs and processes.
2. Performs work with minimum supervision, and work is assigned in terms of technical objectives.
3. May lead a small team to work on software development projects.
4. Works with team members to deliver high quality software that meets the business needs in a timely fashion.
5. Designs, tests and integrates software modules and resolves programming errors using various debugging tools and techniques.
6. Presents BI solutions (e.g. dashboard, reports) to the business and upper management.
7. Conducts impact analysis for proposed changes to or problems within a BI design.
8. Prepares technical documentation (e.g., data definitions, technical specifications).
9. Leads team discussions with the business in the analysis and collaboration to clarify and improve specifications, or to identify alternative BI solutions.
10. Makes recommendations or decisions on BI design, standards and process improvements.
11. Enforces team and organizational standards and practices (e.g. at walkthroughs and peer code reviews).
12. Engages in continuous learning by developing and executing on a learning plan.
13. Takes responsibility for individual’s and the team's results.
14. Estimates and prioritizes work to maximize value while taking into account risk, effort and dependencies.
15. Raises impediments, risks, and issues as early as possible and works with the team to mitigate as needed.
16. Advocates for quality in all aspects of development efforts based on the team's definition of quality.
17. Assists in the design of BI solutions.
1. Five to ten years relevant experience
2. Microsoft Certified IT Professional certification for SQL Server 2008 R2 preferred.
3. Oracle PL/SQL Developer certification preferred.
4.Demonstrates an in-depth knowledge of Microsoft BI architecture, established data warehouse development methodologies, and BI development tools (e.g. for score cards development).
5. Extensive experience in BI design and implementation, and metadata management, with a good working knowledge of data warehouse performance turning, data security and OLAP reporting/analysis tools.
6. Demonstrates an in-depth knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (in particular SSIS, SSRS and SSAS), Microsoft PerformancePoint 2010, PowerPivot, Excel Web Services, Oracle 11g, TSQL, PL/SQL and ERwin.
7. Extensive hands-on experience in SSAS development, MDX queries, cube aggregation tuning, PerformancePoint dashboard/KPI development and Excel Pivot tables, as part of a multi-disciplinary team environment (following an agile framework such as SCRUM preferred), based on Microsoft Team Foundation Server.
8. Experience in developing SharePoint 2010 web parts using C# and user interface controls (e.g. Dundas) for BI.
9. Extensive experience with database management (i.e. database design, schema creation, concurrency and performance considerations) and database administration (DBA).
10. Excellent English communication skill for presenting BI solutions to the business.
11. Takes ownership and initiative, and collaborates well with a team of peers.
12. Demonstrates a commitment to continuous learning (e.g. user groups, blogs, conferences, community awareness, and next generation tooling).
13. Has a positive, passionate, idea generating attitude when faced with challenges.
14. Knowledge of web-based multi-tier architecture and SharePoint/PerformancePoint security a definite asset.
Last updated on August 25, 2011